December 30, 2008

General Store

One of our customers gave us a neat little poem over the holidays. I'm not sure if they wrote it, or if it is from someone else's library, but it goes like this:

Someday I'm going to have a store
With a tinkly bell hung over the door
With real glass cases and counters wide
And drawers all spilly with things inside

There'll be a little of everything:
Bolts of calico, balls of string
Jars of peppermint, tins of tea
Pots and kettles and crockery
Seeds in packets, scissors bright
Kegs of sugar, brown and white
sarsaparilla for picnic lunches
banannas and rubber boots in bunches.

I'll fix the window and dust each shelf
And take the money in all myself
It will be my store and I will say:
"What can I do for you today?"

By: Rachel Field

I love the poem, and reading it makes me proud to be here behind the counter, listening for our tinkly bell to ring, so I can say "What can I do for you today?"

We don't have bolts of calico, or balls of string, jars of peppermint, or tins of tea, but we do have coats of Carhartt, jars of ski wax, boxes of bike tubes, racks of showshoes, and halls of skis. We have shelves of cast iron, racks of gloves, piles of goggles, stacks of Danner boots. Galoshes of all sizes, and tires both skinny and wide.

The past few weeks have been a lot of fun. So many new faces have come through the door, looking for advice on fun trails to ski, and telling tales of where they've been.

If you are in the area I'd suggest heading up to Salt Creek falls for a view of the frozen ice around the majestic falls. From there you can snow shoe on the area trails, or continue on up the highway to Gold Lake Sno Park or Willamette Pass where there are lots more trails to explore.

Happy Holidays! Get out there and have some adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment